01272010_state_of_the_union194
State of the Union viewing parties at Penn

It is easy for students to get lost in their busy schedules and let important political events go unnoticed. Wednesday night, however, many students took the time to watch President Barack Obama’s second State of the Union address.

Students gathered at various venues across campus to watch the speech. Some went to organized events while others preferred gathering around the T.V. with friends in their dorm rooms.

Hill College House held a State of the Union watching party in its Upper East Lounge. As the room filled up, Faculty Master of Hill College House Julie Sochalski explained the importance of keeping the student generation engaged in today’s issues. She said it was up to them now, but that if they continue to talk about the issues, progress will be inevitable.

College freshman Graham White, the Penn coordinator for U.S. Sen. Arlen Specter’s reelection campaign, is one such engaged student. After watching the address in the Upper East Lounge, he noted how Obama for the most part avoided politics and stuck to rhetoric.

He called this a wise move politically, but acknowledged that the President would have to address healthcare reform sooner or later.

The College Republicans hosted a watching party of their own at the house of their president, Wharton senior Peter Devine. Group members voiced strong reactions to the President’s words throughout the address.

Many commented on the hypocrisy of a Congress held by a Democratic majority that has been largely ineffective in the past year and the danger of Obama making more promises that he would be unable to keep.

Wharton sophomore Trisha Mantri watched the address with friends in the comfort of her living room while doing her homework. She said she listened to the President to see what tangible actions she could expect him to take in the next year.

The Penn Democrats did not host a watching party of their own. However, Wharton junior and Penn Dems Vice President Elizabeth Celata said the group hoped its members were watching regardless.

She said it was important for the group to get excited for the coming election, in which members could help Obama by “giving him a Democratic Congress” to help him accomplish the goals he laid out in the address.

Some students participated in a focus group for Fox News held by pollster and political analyst Frank Luntz. College senior and former president of the College Republicans Zac Byer, who works for Luntz, said he thought it was important that Penn students be involved in the group.

Byer explained that the nation should know that students care about current political issues. He said he hopes that after seeing concerned peers on national television, other students will be inspired to involve themselves further in politics.