With the second semester underway, Van Pelt dwellers can now enjoy an espresso shot after midnight, as Penn Dining has recently expanded its hours of operations in Mark’s Cafe.

Housed in the basement of Van Pelt Library, Mark’s now offers beverages, meals and snacks Sunday through Wednesday nights until 2 a.m., Thursday nights until midnight and Friday and Saturday nights until 5 and 6 p.m., respectively.

Previously, the cafe closed at midnight from Sunday through Thursday.

Though this year Penn Dining expanded its hours during reading period and exam week as it typically does, during the first semester the Undergraduate Assembly suggested that Bon Appetit make a more permanent expansion, Director of Dining Services Laurie Cousart said.

As Penn’s new dining provider, Bon Appetit is constantly seeking to make changes according to students’ preferences, Cousart added. According to the UA’s recommendations, longer dining hours would determined to better accommodate students’ study habits and lifestyles.

After conducting a student survey, Cousart continued, the UA determined that Mark’s Cafe — a popular site for late-night study breaks and re-fueling sessions — would be the best place to start.

“It’s still a little early, but we’re happy [with the results] so far. We’ll keep an eye on it,” Cousart said of the change.

“Our students study hard,” she added. “Knowing they can stay in the building on a cold night is a great benefit.”

College freshman Alexa Bryn agreed, saying, “When you’re in the library, turning out a paper late at night, the fact that Mark’s is open for an extra boost is a plus.”