Voting for the referendum that calls for changes in the Undergraduate Assembly’s elections process officially began 12 a.m. Monday.

The referendum would change the UA chairman and vice chairman for external affairs into a directly-elected president and vice president, respectively.

The ballot also contains proposed changes to the UA’s constitution. The changes would allow UA membership to fluctuate with Penn’s student population based on its size and its members’ distribution among the undergraduate schools.

The new constitution would also allow the class boards to determine the titles and tasks of board positions and establish fall elections that would include transfer students.

At least 20 percent of undergraduates need to vote and a majority must vote yes for the referendum to pass.

“I would hate for this to only not pass because it didn’t get 20 percent,” said College junior and UA chairman Alec Webley.

College senior and Student Activities Council chairwoman Natalie Vernon, one of the students leading the reform movement, expressed optimism.

“I think that we’re actually going to get to the 20 percent,” she said. “I’m really excited to see what happens on Friday.”