1112009_ifcpresident077
IFC president elected Credit: Melanie Lei

On Wednesday night, the Interfraternity Council held elections to fill its nine board member positions.

Although the new term does not begin until Bid Signing Night on Jan. 25, new IFC president and Wharton junior Christian Lunoe sat down with The Daily Pennsylvanian to discuss his election and his plans for next year.

Daily Pennsylvanian: What is your previous involvement with the Greek system and with the IFC?

Christian Lunoe: I started out as my pledge-class social chair and turned into full-time social chair at [my fraternity, Sigma Alpha Epsilon]. I was contacted by one of the SAE members in the IFC and he told me to join [the IFC]. I ran for vice president of community service and worked on that for a year.

Through my dealings with Scott [Reikofski], Larry [Moses], and everybody at the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs, I learned a lot about leadership.

DP: Why did you decide to run for president of IFC?

CL: I ran for president because of the great experience I had serving as the vice president of community service. The IFC has not only taught me valuable lessons in becoming a leader, but has expanded my network of friends to those with similar ambitions.

DP: What is the process of running for IFC president like?

CL: It basically has been a semester long ordeal … planning exactly what my ambitions are [and] also talking to Scott and Shawn Woodhull, [current IFC president and Wharton senior].

DP: What are your plans as IFC president?

CL: We’ve talked about a lot of initiatives and they are all on the table. I don’t think we can accomplish all of them just by the nature of how big they are, but one thing that we’re looking into very seriously is the feasibility of holding [wet], registered parties. It’s become a big issue for a lot of fraternities either because of costs or [because] it’s too complicated. Also, we want to increase the amount of academic involvement, community service involvement and … expand on all of the programs.

DP: What do you hope to achieve?

CL: I guess what we are really trying to do is get involvement from all the Greek organizations — Panhel and MGC — and get everybody working together so that it’s a united front and the Greek community has a great overall reputation within the Penn and West Philadelphia communities.

DP: Is there anything else that you’d like DP readers to know about your future presidency?

CL: Just to expect great things.