October crime increased by 11 percent this year compared to October of last year, said Division of Public Safety officials. The increase was mostly due to a rise in simple assaults.

Despite this rise in October crime, year-to-date crime is still down.

While only two simple assaults were reported to DPS in October 2008, seven were reported last month.

Two of these assaults were directed at police officers and the assailants that police arrested were unaffiliated with the University.

Members of two fraternity houses are also under investigation after a fight broke out between those members, DPS spokeswoman Stef Cella wrote in an e-mail. No arrests were made, Cella wrote, and the investigation is being reviewed by the Philadelphia District Attorney's Office.

Vice President for Public Safety Maureen Rush would not specify which two fraternities participated in the fight.

Police arrested two other Penn students in October for participating in another fight.

Simple assaults are also up for the year to date, rising from 22 in 2008 to 31 this year.

But although crime is up for October, overall crime is still down 12 percent compared to this time last year.

Rush said bike thefts and thefts from buildings still remain a concern across campus.

While there were only 15 bike thefts and 18 thefts from buildings in October 2008, there were 22 bike thefts and 29 thefts from buildings in October 2009.

Rush said most of these thefts occurred at fraternity houses during parties or because students left items unattended on the back of chairs in restaurants or coffee shops.

As far as bike thefts, Rush said, students should make sure to use U-locks rather than cable locks because they are more difficult for thieves to break.

A summary of the crime statistics for year to date:

No homicides have been reported this year while two were reported last year.

Total robberies decreased from 24 last year to 17 this year.

Aggravated assaults increased from eight last year to 13 this year.

Simple assaults rose from 22 last year to 31 this year.

Forcible sex offenses increased from six last year to 11 this year.

Burglaries decreased from 70 last year to 46 this year.

One arson was reported this year while none was reported last year.

There were six auto thefts reported this year while seven were reported last year.

Ninety-four thefts from auto were reported both this year and last year.

Bike theft decreased from 107 last year to 77 this year.

Theft from buildings dropped from 211 last year to 180 this year.

Retail theft dropped from 92 last year to 91 this year.

* This article was updated on Nov. 6 to reflect the fact that while there is an ongoing investigation into a fight between members of two Penn fraternities, no arrests have been made.