It’s not every charity that plans to turn the pyramids pink for its first race in Egypt.

But Susan G. Komen for the Cure, the largest global organization for breast cancer awareness, will do just that — hosting its first Race for the Cure around the Giza pyramids in Cairo, Egypt later this month. President and CEO Hala Moddelmog explained her goals for the future of breast cancer in her keynote address last night in Huntsman Hall.

The talk was the culmination of the campus-wide campaign, Penn Thinks Pink, whose goal is to raise $5,000 for Komen for the Cure. The campaign was led by Wharton Women and was supported by the Panhellenic Council, among other campus groups.

Moddelmog began her speech by addressing the roots of the charity. Komen for the Cure began with a promise between sisters: when Susan Komen was diagnosed with breast cancer, her older sister Nancy Brinker promised she would do everything she could to combat the disease.

Brinker’s promise led to the emergence of the largest contributer to the breast cancer movement, besides the federal government. Komen for the Cure has contributed $1.5 billion to the cause since its birth in 1982.

However, it has been a challenge to gain the current success the charity enjoys because of the nature of the disease, according to Moddelmog.

“There was a stigma surrounding breast cancer that made it difficult to be diagnosed,” she said, explaining that having breast cancer remains tabboo in countries in the Middle East and Africa.

The charity’s primary aim, to raise awareness and educate people, derives from this problem. The foundation also focuses on research and advocacy.

Penn students have rallied behind the cause. In the two weeks since the initiatve launched, Penn Thinks Pink has raised $3,000 to support the charity through selling T-shirts, cupcakes and pink ribbons.

Moddelmog’s address attracted an impressive turnout.

“I am inspired by women like Hala Moddelmog,” said Felicitas Jorge, a sophomore in Wharton. “She uses her business savvy to save lives.”

Vice President of Wharton Women, Lauren Fleischer, a junior in Wharton, who spearheaded the initiative, said she was pleasantly surprised by students’ reactions.

“I was surprised to see how many Penn students wore pink this week and supported the initiative,” Fleischer said. “Penn Thinks Pink is a movement to get involved in.”

Moddelmog agreed, concluding her speech with the notion that progress is made possible, “one cupcake, one t-shirt and one race at a time.”