zuijool7
The Banker's Club Preceptorial will include seven sessions and be open exclusively for Wharton seniors beginning in the fall.

*This article appeared in the 2009 joke issue.

Next year, Wharton students can experience a whole new kind of Banker's Club.

Next fall, the Preceptorials Committee will offer a course on Banker's Club - a popular alcohol brand which produces such liquors as rum, vodka, whiskey, bourbon, gin, scotch and brandy.

Structured like the Wine Tasting Preceptorial, students will have the opportunity to enjoy the fine liquor Banker's Club has to offer.

Because over 850 students applied to be in this semester's Wine Tasting Preceptorial, "We had to find a viable solution for those students who wanted to be able to drink in an intellectual environment, but couldn't get into the wine one," said Danny Fein, College junior and Preceptorials chairman.

Since seniors often see classes involving alcohol as a rite of passage but the Committee did not want to increase enrollment in the Wine Preceptorial, adding another preceptorial that will include "more serious" drinking seemed the best option, he added.

Members of the Preceptorials Committee decided to allow only Wharton students to apply for the Banker's Club Preceptorial in order to limit the number of applicants.

Preceptorials vice chairman and Wharton senior Varun Jain said they decided on Wharton students for a number of reasons.

"The brand simply calls out for Wharton students," he said. "We're the smartest anyway, so we don't even have to worry about killing a few brain cells."

Besides their obvious intellectual superiority, Wharton students also need to learn how to party harder and work less, Fein said.

He agreed that a preceptorial such as this will only increase Penn's reputation as the "social Ivy" and add an element of fun to the "most serious" school on campus.

Adding to the slightly unconventional nature of the preceptorial, it will meet seven times over the course of the semester, instead of the regular three.

This change was made to accommodate one session for each type of alcohol produced by Banker's Club.

"We wouldn't want our prized Wharton students getting sick from mixing their alcohol," said Interim Provost Vincent Price, who approved the expansion.

Price added that he does not believe College students will be upset about their inability to apply for such a fun preceptorial primarily because "they all already drink enough."

Fein disagreed, but said because he was drunk at the meeting in which the Wharton-only sanction was approved, there is nothing he can do to change it.

College students are also very upset at these regulations.

"I had hoped to take this class my senior year," Fein said disappointedly.

"It's an outrage that we won't be allowed to apply," College sophomore Rachel Malloy said. "I sometimes drink in class already, but I'd love to do it openly instead of out of water bottles."