z37l7jh7
Frances Hu/DP Staff Photographer

Izzy and Zoe's, the Jewish deli-style restaurant on S. 40th Street, is no longer in business.

Because the restaurant's owners did not fulfill their lease obligations, Penn - the landlord for the space - took action, according to University officials.

"Intermittent closings" were a primary breach of the obligations, according to Ed Datz, executive director of Real Estate at Penn Facilities and Real Estate Services.

Penn took back the property at the end of January, though "the exact physical closing date is unknown" because of the intermittent closings throughout last semester, Datz wrote in an e-mail.

The space will soon be up for rent and "several prospects have been identified," Datz added, though he did not specify prospective tenants.

Until now, most students have only known that the restaurant has been "Closed - Have a Good Holidays," as advertised on the store's entrance door.

"I noticed they were not open before break, and I thought they would open a few days after break," said College sophomore Rachel Tashjian, whose group of friends still checks to see if the restaurant is open each Saturday morning.

College sophomore Akiva Dworkin stopped by the store last Sunday only to find that the establishment was still closed.

"I was wondering why, because it said it was closed for the holiday," Dworkin said. "I was confused because there was no holiday."

Many students are disappointed that they now have nowhere to get their omelets and kugel.

"It's very near to where I live," College sophomore James Zimmerman said. "It's quick and it's what I'm looking for in terms of a good breakfast."

College senior Eliora Porter, who ate at Izzy and Zoe's once a month and is a "big fan of the omelets," began to notice its unpredictable hours over the summer.

Porter said she wishes the restaurant had notified her about what was happening to the place.

"If they're going out of business or going to be closed for a while, I'd like them to put up a sign," she said. "Or if there's a health code violation, I'd like to know."

Meanwhile, rumors abound regarding the popular restaurant's closing - including possible health code violations.

College senior Yael Bortnick noted the seeming uncleanliness of the establishment - she once saw a cockroach in the water cooler, she said.

Even so, the restaurant, - much beloved by many Penn students - will be missed.

"I feel like Izzy and Zoe's had a special mix," Porter said. "You can't find that mix anywhere on campus."

Related StoriesUnique deli menu at Izzy and Zoe's draws in the masses - News Much-awaited bagel store opens its doors - Resources