2cfo9a40
Junior Jeff Cellucci at the plate Credit: Max Hass

Jeff Cellucci has got to feel old.

It isn't the harsh reality of graduating from college that's making Penn's senior catcher feel less youthful. He's not freaking out about turning 22 next week, either.

And although his knees might ache after a doubleheader or a long bullpen session, it's not that his body is giving out on him.

No, Cellucci might feel just a tad more mature than the average senior on the diamond this year for one reason: He's the only one.

But besides the new duties that come with being voted a team captain, his biggest adjustment may come in a more minor form - when he's looking for some nostalgic banter.

"One of the only differences," Cellucci said, "is not having any seniors who can relate talking about stories from freshman year."

Cellucci, who comes from former coach Bob Seddon's final recruiting class, has seen many of his classmates leave the team, but if there's any player suited to serve as the team's elder statesman, it's him.

With a picture-perfect catcher's personality, he will be called upon to help develop a youthful pitching staff that includes six freshmen. But don't think Cellucci is going to be doing any coddling - a quarterback and linebacker on the Coatesville (Pa.) High football team, his approach is more tough love than lovey-dovey.

"He brings that real tough mentality - that football mentality, almost," said junior pitcher Todd Roth, one of Cellucci's co-captains. "It's a good intensity to break the pitchers in. . If you're not doing something right he gets in your face and tells you."

Although he will likely share time behind the plate with sophomore Mike Mariano, Cellucci is the team's best defensive catcher. While he struggled at the plate last season (batting .200 with just one extra-base hit), coach John Cole said he has already noticed an improvement in his swing.

But if the word "intangible" ever had any real meaning, it applies to Cellucci. While very few, if any, college catchers call every pitch like in the pros, Cole said Cellucci is someone he would trust to do it.

In other words, there's a reason Cole kept Cellucci in the lineup despite his slump last year.

"He's kind of our coach on the field," Cole said. "We're going to be relying on him this year for stability behind the plate, leadership, really being a calming influence on the young guys."

With the Quakers' pervasive youth, that kind of a presence is more important than ever. So if a freshman comes through with a gutsy performance, or an old hand like Roth spins a gem, the credit doesn't fall solely with the guy on the mound.

You can be sure that the pitching staff will have a kind word to say about the captain behind the dish.

And as far as being ready to accept that responsibility? It almost goes without saying.

"I'm definitely comfortable with that role," Cellucci said. "It kind of comes with the territory."