Students wanting to try their hand at firearm simulation training or learning how to defend themselves are in luck.

Today the Division of Public Safety will hold an open house from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. as a way for Penn students to meet Penn Police and learn more about what the Division of Public Safety does.

The open house will involve a tour of the DPS headquarters, located at 4040 Chestnut St., and interactive activities. It will also include a tour of the new Public Safety annex at 108 S. 40th Street.

Activities at the open house will include a chance to try the firearm simulation training machine and a rape and aggression defense training demonstration.

"It's a hands-on experience of public safety," said Maureen Rush, Penn's vice president for public safety.

The annex opened in July 2007, and was created for the use of DPS as well as the community.

Rick San Filippo, director of security and technical services, said the need for a larger workspace grew over time, culminating in the new annex.

"Conditions here were cramped space," he said. "There was no room for the Allied Barton roll call or electronic security personnel."

The new annex is staffed 24/7 and has public safety literature for anyone who stops by.

A community room is also available for various groups, including the neighborhood safety group Town Watch and the Undergraduate Assembly, whose steering committee met at the annex once last semester.