NSO: an entire week devoted to introducing new students to the campus and what is has to offer academically and socially.

For most, it's a whirlwind of informational sessions, ice breakers, parties and awkward situations.

Once students have passed their early years at Penn though, their NSO experience changes dramatically.

Having the luxury of already knowing their niche, most juniors and seniors spend this classless week catching up.

"Last year going out was about meeting new people and anticipating what's to come, and now all you really want to do is see your friends," said College senior Emily Kahn, who transferred to Penn last year.

College junior Abe Fine agreed. "It's a whole mind set. As a freshman, a lot of people get stressed out about NSO, partying, making friends. But as upperclassmen you've already done that so you can just worry about having fun."

Fraternity parties, house parties and bars like Smokes' and Blarney's are popular nighttime activities, as is watching huge freshmen groups trawling campus late at night.

"We sit on our porch and watch them, and think its funny, and reminisce how that was us two short years ago," said College junior Aviva Vogelstein.

"I remember being exactly in their shoes," added Fine, "and how awkward and exciting everything is."

The weekend Greek scene, according to College senior and Sigma Nu Rush and Community Service chair Dave Weinreb, can be great for freshmen.

"There's less inhibition to introduce yourself to a stranger and even if you're not able to have a legitimate conversation, you have a face and a name," he said.

For upperclassmen who are not as concerned with introductions, it can be a nostalgic moment as well.

To others, the crowded fraternity parties are something many feel they have outgrown.

"The people who don't enjoy it as much get over the desire to go when they become sophomores and juniors," said College senior Elliot Gordon.

Kahn agreed, saying her friends are "so tired of this scene."

Like many upperclassmen, Kahn prefers the more intimate house party. "That's usually where I go because that's where you get to spend time with your friends. There's no awkward dancing."

Gordon, meanwhile, would not have come for NSO if he were not working on lighting for Front Row Theatre Company's show "Elegies."

He was here for the summer, and did not, like many Penn students, see NSO as a "last hurrah" before school starts. "I've realized I can find the time to enjoy myself even if I have work."

Other students who spent their summers in Philadelphia, like College senior Phil Rocco, saw NSO as a great time to get away before schoolwork piles up.

"It's really hectic because it's my senior year," he said, "and I'm trying to get my life in order before school ends."

Mini vacations notwithstanding, for most upperclassmen NSO is all about being with friends. "The best part of this week was seeing all my friends who I haven't seen all summer," said Vogelstein.