h992sg22
Varsity Vocals presents the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella. Mass Transit, NYU's all-male a cappella group, was awarded first place overall.

From beat boxing to African drumming, if you have a performing-arts talent, Penn has a group for you.

But with more than 40 groups that are part of PAC in addition to other performing arts groups on campus, how do you get the scoop on which dance troupe or a cappella group to join?

Freshman Performing Arts Night, sponsored by the Performing Arts Council, showcases many of Penn's dance, theater, a cappella, comedy, spoken word and other musical groups on campus in one night. This year's show will take place tomorrow at 7 p.m. at Zellerbach Theatre in the Annenberg Center.

Tickets cost $5 for freshman and $8 for all others and can be purchased at the Annenberg Center Box Office.

The PAC Executive Board wrote in an e-mail: "From South Asian a cappella to African dance, from Jewish theater to all-male sketch comedy, there is a PAC group for everyone."

They added, "Because of the passion, dedication and love of the arts that each member shares, performing arts groups are among the tightest groups on campus."

And many groups across campus see the show as a useful tool to recruit freshman members. Many of these groups have auditions over the course of the next two weeks.

Penn Dance member and College junior Tanvi Misra said that the show is important for all performing arts groups because freshman get to see "basic snit bits" of the group's capabilities.

She said, "We choose our choreography [for FPAN] so that in a nutshell freshmen get an essence of Penn Dance. . It's our statement of what our group is about and why you should join it."

All of the PAC groups perform shows in the fall and spring semesters and with over 60 performances a year, FPAN helps you narrow which types of groups you would like to try out for.

And many freshmen see the show's purpose as just that.

Wharton freshman Christian Callender-Easby said he will probably attend the show to "see a showcase of local Penn talent and see what is available to get involved in."

The PAC Executive Board wrote, "To see where you fit in to Penn's diverse and vibrant performing arts community and get a taste of each group, come to FPAN."