s551g9z5
Two girls go on a Center City bar crawl.

In a city suffering a population decline, some organizations are trying to share the Brotherly Love.

Philadelphia's population decline from 2000 to 2007 was second only to New Orleans among major U.S. cities, with job losses and economic issues taking the blame.

But some groups are trying to point out the positive side of Philadelphia to encourage young people to move here or stay.

MovetoPhilly.com provides guided tours for those interested in moving to Philadelphia.

"Whatever matters to people most, we help them discover that here," said Kendra Gaeta, who helped start MovetoPhilly.

To help potential newcomers learn about the city, MovetoPhilly will introduce them to aspects of Philadelphia's culture, based on each person's interests.

For example, Gaeta said, MovetoPhilly will help food lovers check out the city's BYOs and take pet lovers to parks.

Gaeta moved to Philadelphia from Brooklyn in order to buy a house, and immediately fell in love with the city.

"I love the quality of life, the architecture is beautiful, and it's great for creative types."

Philadelphia's creative economy, which includes a range of media-related services, has been booming and generates about $44 billion in revenue annually in the region, according to Innovation Philadelphia, a nonprofit economic development organization.

While some organizations try to draw new residents from outside, Campus Philly targets students already living here.

"Our goal is keeping students here after they graduate," said Business Representative Kevin Tague.

Campus Philly aims to expose Philadelphia in a way that would encourage students to remain here after graduating.

The organization holds events like movie screenings and career fairs to acquaint students with the city and its opportunities.

Some students end up staying, but others are harder to sway.

"I always wanted to go back to Los Angeles after college," said Marcello Chermisqui, who graduated from Wharton last May and is now working for a bank there. "I like the weather a lot and my family's here."

The Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce maintains that jobs are the best approach to retain and attract residents.

"The best way to attract people is to have good jobs available as well as good social-service opportunities," said Senior Vice President Mary Flannery.

Flannery has worked with the mayor's office to reduce some business taxes and has lobbied to reduce the city wage tax.

Philadelphia's population reached its peak in 1950 with more than 2 million residents. The city's population now stands at just under 1.5 million people, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

The city's population drop has been less severe in recent years because of job growth in key sectors and affordable housing, Chamber of Commerce President Mark Schweiker wrote in an op-ed in the Philadelphia Business Journal this summer.