Students, faculty and three distinguished speakers met at the Engineering school's Kanade Symposium yesterday to discuss the state of robotics and computer science and to honor the winner of one of the Franklin Institute's highest awards.

The symposium, co-sponsored by Penn's General Robotics, Automation, Sensing and Perception Laboratory and the Franklin Institute, featured speeches and culminated with an open house at which GRASP showed off its Levine Hall laboratory.

The event honored the achievements of Takeo Kanade, winner of the Franklin Institute's 2008 Bower Award. A Carnegie Mellon professor, Kanade was given the award for "visionary leadership and scientific accomplishments" in robotics and computer vision technology, which allows machines to function more like humans in the physical world.

The award also highlighted his other achievements, which include helping scientists create "virtual realities" using audio and visual technology, some of which were featured in the 2001 Super Bowl.

In addition to Kanade, Penn professor Camillo Taylor and Carnegie Mellon professor Matthew Mason also spoke on their research to an audience at Skirkanich Hall.