u2xhblz3
Panhellenic prez, miss X, who just got elected or whatever and bla bla bla. I wouldn't know. Credit: Priscilla des Gachons

The Panhellenic Council has elected College junior Drew Tye as president for the upcoming year.

Tye, who is currently the Panhellenic delegate for Sigma Delta Tau, ran against two current board members for the position.

The Panhellenic president serves as the representative of the female Greek community for the University administration.

Tye sat down with The Daily Pennsylvanian last night to discuss her plans for Penn's sororities.

The Daily Pennsylvanian: Why did you run for the position of Panhel president?

Drew Tye: I started as a Panhellenic delegate, and from the first time I went to a meeting I was so enthusiastic and involved in more of a community-oriented position as opposed to just with Sigma Delta Tau.

I felt that it was time for me to step outside my box where I was very comfortable and get to know other people and other sororities.

DP: What kind of agenda do you have for Panhel?

DT: My agenda is practical, but I think unique.

I am very interested and passionate about philanthropy. My other goal is to strengthen relations with the Women's Center, which I also find to be a very important female strength on campus. . I think we can work together to educate the community on nutrition, female empowerment and sexual-violence prevention.

DP: What role do you see for Panhel within the Penn community in responding to the sexual assault and other crime that has been occurring on campus?

DT: A lot of women in our community, and specifically in the Panhellenic community, have many concerns about safety issues.

A lot of girls are afraid of walking alone at night and I want to strengthen the message of protection, safety and bringing trust back to the Penn community.

DP: How do you view the relations among sororities on campus?

DT: I feel that it's strong but it can be stronger- and I believe that I can absolutely facilitate that.

I think that the ability to achieve cohesion is the ultimate measure of our success as a community.

DP: What would you improve about the Greek community at Penn?

DT: Every house has their own situation happening, and I think they recognize that they are supported from a board that may be a little more foreign right now, but I want to bring the [Panhel] board a little more into the general community.