While most use text-messaging for practical purposes, one man is putting the medium to a newer and more creative use.

Paul Notzold, a graduate of Parsons School of Design and Technology in New York, spoke about the potential of mobile media yesterday at a packed Kelly Writers House.

TXTual Healing, his growing project, uses a simple set-up involving a computer, a projector and a car battery to project text messages from the audience onto unsuspecting facades.

"Some of my motivation was to try to get people to look at what this is and not just accept what the marketers here make for you," Notzold said. "Marketing does a wonderful job of making something look like the only thing you can have."

Joking about how rampant advertising has entrenched itself in nearly all facets of the media, Notzold also expressed his initial concerns that the project would be swept up by advertisers and inevitably perverted by commercialism.

Audience members were treated to videos of Notzold's exhibitions in France and Germany, as well domestic shows.

After speaking on the history of his infatuation with mobile media and its social implications, Notzold invited the audience to a demonstration near 40th and Walnut streets. There, they were welcome to send anonymous and uncensored text messages to fill in thought bubbles during the projection of a black and white zombie film.

Messages ranged from simple thoughts like "Take this zombies!" to "It's days like that I'm thankful I'm a necrophiliac," provoking laughter from onlookers.

College junior Nick Salvator said the exhibit truly addressed a growing tendency towards introversion caused by technology.

"I think more art needs to exploit the fact that technology is developing at an extraordinary rate," Salvator said. "People make innovations when they pick up things in ordinary ways and look at them in a new way."

More information about Notzold's work, as well as upcoming events, can be found at www.txtualhealing.com.