Few Penn students are eager to trek into West Philadelphia past the safe haven of 40th Street, but for those willing to make a small trip, there are some pleasant culinary surprises.

One such destination is Dock Street Brewery and Restaurant, a new eatery located in a converted firehouse at 50th Street and Baltimore Avenue.

Since its opening on Aug. 20, Dock Street has attracted a range of diners. Manager Evan Warble described the dinner-time crowd on a recent Saturday evening as a typical one - a group that included college students and young professionals, couples nearing middle age and even a few families.

While Dock Street may lack a clear clientele base, in terms of food, the wood-fired oven pizza is a decisive winner. Dock Street boasts an array of nearly 20 gourmet pizzas, ranging from the classic Tony Pepperoni to the more unusual Greek pizza, with toppings that include sun-dried tomatoes, olives, feta cheese and mixed greens.

I ordered the barbecued chicken pizza - a pie topped with mozzarella, red onions, cilantro, chicken and barbecue sauce - and the small ($8.50) was just the right size to provide a meal without leaving the diner overstuffed.

The crust was crispy and tasty, and the pizza offered ample amounts of onions, cheese and barbecue sauce, though it was a bit light on the chicken.

My friend sampled the Sicilian pie ($8.25), which features black olives, pine nuts, capers, roasted garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, mozzarella, basil and tomato sauce. She noted that the pie had more than enough sauce, but was somewhat scanty on other toppings, though she enjoyed the flavor from the pine nuts and basil.

Other menu items include a variety of salads, which range in price from $5.95 for mixed greens to $8.95 for goat cheese or Mediterranean, and Panini and char-grilled sandwiches ($7-8 each).

The desert menu offers tiramisu and cannoli ($3.95 each). The light, fluffy tiramisu provided a satisfying end to the meal.

Dock Street offers a range of brewed-on-site beers and Pennsylvania wines. The bar extends the entire length of the casual, loud dining area.

The brewpub has only been open a few months, but it is already becoming a worthy destination for drinks and a meal. The friendly staff, relaxed setting, and quality fare make Dock Street one compelling reason to head west.