q1b932h0
Crime rates for Summer '06 and Summer '07

The campus saw jumps in total crime for both the summer and the entire year, but Division of Public Safety officials maintain that the increases are too small to be significant.

There were 281 crimes during the months of May, June, July and August, compared to 252 in summer 2006, a jump of 11.5 percent.

Year-to-date crime stands at 502 total crimes, compared to 474 last year, a 5.5 percent increase.

The number of aggravated assaults, robberies, auto thefts and general thefts for the summer has risen since the summer of 2006, while only bike thefts saw a decrease, dropping from 57 last summer to 33 this year.

Vice President of Public Safety Maureen Rush said the rise in crime doesn't necessarily mean the area is less safe, a sentiment echoed by Criminology professor Lawrence Sherman.

"Very small numbers, very hard to tell," Sherman said. "That's likely to be due to chance."

Rush did note, however, the dramatic decrease in bike theft. She credited a new DPS program that focuses on getting students to register their bikes on Campus Express and buy the correct kind of Kryptonite locks.

DPS has also relocated bike racks so they are in more well-lit areas and under the surveillance of cameras, Rush said.

The number of crimes during New Student Orientation also rose from 19 last year to 21 this year.

Most notably, there were two robberies this year on Monday night of NSO on the west edge of campus. Both incidents involved Penn students and police suspect that they were related.

Rush urged all students, especially freshmen, to avoid becoming the victims of preventable theft.

"Register anything you own that can be lifted," Rush said. "Also, don't leave valuable items unattended and unsecured."

A summary of crime statistics for the summer:

- Robberies increased from 16 last year to 21 this year.

- Aggravated assaults - assaults that result in serious injury or involve a weapon - rose from three last year to eight this year.

- General thefts increased from 147 last summer to 187 this year.

- Auto thefts doubled from three to six.

- Burglary and simple-assault levels for the summer remained the same as 2006.