ysl055o8

Construction is proceeding on schedule on the Radian student-apartment building, according to a spokeswoman for the building's developer, Inland American Communities Group Inc.

Located on the 3900 block of Walnut Street, the high-rise building will house 500 students in 154 apartments and will also feature two stories of retail space totaling 40,000 square feet.

Apartments will include between one and four bedrooms, and tenants will be charged between $975 and $1,250 a month.

The building is expected to open September 2008 and cost around $50 million.

The exact tenants who will fill the retail space is unknown as of now, but the building management will likely have a list of retailers by early next year, Facilities spokesman Tony Sorrentino said.

At a July groundbreaking for the facility, Penn administrators, developers and city politicians touted the benefits the housing will provide - both for Penn and West Philadelphia.

"As the 40th Street corridor has come to life in the past couple of years, we've seen great benefits from the seamless connection between our university and the vibrant neighborhoods to our west," Executive Vice President Craig Carnaroli said at the time.

Penn President Amy Gutmann also said the 14-story tower's retail space will be a boon to the area's economy and better integrate the University with residents of surrounding neighborhoods.

She also praised the building's environmentally friendly design - the roof won an award for storm-water management practices - as well as efforts by Penn and the building's developers to include area residents and minorities in its construction.

City Councilwoman Jannie Blackwell, who represents University City, expressed a discordant note at the event, however.

While acknowledging the positive effects of more retail space for the area, she disagreed with Gutmann on the success of the project's hiring practices.

"You've got to do better with community participation," she admonished.