Penn students should expect more than a semi-charmed life during this year's Spring Fling.

Third Eye Blind will join the annual Friday Fling concert, playing a full-length supporting act before Ben Folds, Social Planning and Events Committee officials announced in a press statement released this morning.

Ben Folds was announced earlier this month as the headlining performer for Spring Fling on April 13.

"We've been saying for the past several weeks since we announced Ben Folds that we've really been trying to expand the show from previous years and get bands that we think students are going to want to listen to," said Wharton and Engineering senior Matt Mizrahi, who serves as the director of SPEC Concerts.

"Both Ben Folds and Third Eye Blind were very popular on our Facebook searches and on our student-body survey, so we think that everybody will be really excited about them," said Wharton senior and SPEC director Catey Mark.

Because of the timing of the press statement, students

unaffiliated with SPEC were unavailable for comment.

"I think that '3EB' and their music embody the Fling emotion perfectly," said College junior and SPEC co-director Tony Rizzo in the press release. "It's a fun and carefree weekend."

Mizrahi pointed out that, while it was not their original plan to have two major artists, SPEC Concerts officials found both Folds and Third Eye Blind to be "affordable and worthwhile."

He added that they debated going after a single, high-profile band, but they thought it would be more worthwhile to have two separate bands that may appeal to different sets of people.

Mark said the additional revenue from expanding the venue capacity from last year would help pay in part for the two bands.

As the headlining act, Folds had to approve Third Eye Blind, Mizrahi said.

"As far as I know, [Folds] is excited to play with them," he said.

Tickets for the concert will go on sale this coming Monday on Locust Walk. The first 500 tickets will be sold for $20; tickets bought after Monday will cost $25, and $30 the day of the show.

Concert-goers will be required to present either a PennCard or a Spring Fling Guest Pass - available as of April 2 - to gain entry to the show.