Officials from the Nominations and Elections Committee announced today that, since spring 2006, there has been an increase in the number of students who have received the necessary numbers of signatures to run for student-government positions.

A total of 67 students are running for 76 positions this year, meaning that some students are running for multiple positions.

By comparison, 62 students ran for positions last year and 57 ran in 2005.

The increase in numbers shows [students] are excited about the possibility of making change on campus," said College junior Dan Strigenz, who serves as the NEC's vice chairman of elections.

For the 76 positions, 39 students are running for the Undergraduate Assembly, and 37 students are running for positions on the Class Boards, Stigenz added.

The numbers, however, could change, since students still need to sign a final acknowledgement of candidacy and attend a candidate's meeting tonight in order to become full-fledged candidates.

Strigenz does not expect the numbers to change.

To publicize elections, the NEC took out ads on Facebook and in The Daily Pennsylvanian and e-mailed various student groups around campus.

The body also instituted new election procedures last month lowering the number of required signatures for some Class Board positions and legalizing non-monetary campaigning before the official spending period to make the election process easier for students.

The spending period, during which candidates can purchase supplies such as posters and flyers for their campaigns, will begin at 6 a.m. on Tuesday.