[Raffi Holoszyc-Pimentel/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Senior middle Michelle Kauffman had 13 kills against Princeton.

After losing its final game at the Penn-Sheraton Invitational Tournament last weekend to Towson in three games, the Penn volleyball team (4-7, 1-0 Ivy) needed to refocus for its game against rival Princeton (8-3, 0-1) on Friday.

The returning Ivy co-champion Tigers won both the Marist Tournament and the Rider Classic in the weeks preceding their match against Penn. The Red and Blue needed consistency and confidence.

"We have to play better -- Princeton just doesn't make mistakes," Penn coach Kerry Carr said after last week's tournament. "They pass and play defense. If we pass and play defense, we'll beat them. It is as simple as that."

The Quakers were able to respond to their coach's words, defeating Princeton, 3-1, by taking the last three games of the match.

Princeton dominated the first game, winning 30-16 -- but all the Quakers needed was a little focus.

"I had to remind them of our game plan," Carr said. "We were a little bit nervous in the first game, but the loss didn't deter our spirits."

The Red and Blue fought back to win the next three sets, 30-25, 30-25 and 31-29.

"It was a total team effort," Carr said. "They were so unified that there were 13 people on the floor at the same time. Our attack wore Princeton down."

The fourth game was exceptionally close, as there were 12 ties and five lead changes. Senior captain Cara Thomason recorded a kill to tie the game, 28-28. Princeton responded with a point of its own, but kills by freshman Kathryn Turner and sophomore Laura Black won the match for the Quakers.

"Princeton never gave up," Carr said. "Defensively, it was one of the best matches I've been in. Both sides gave full efforts. We had long rallies, incredible plays and people hurdling all over each other to get to a ball."

Senior captain Michelle Kauffman and Black each tallied 13 kills, while Thomason had 11. Thomason recorded 21 digs while libero Elizabeth Hurst recorded 18. As a team, Penn outblocked Princeton, 12-5.

The victory over Princeton came after a tough tournament schedule in which the Quakers faced some of the nation's top volleyball programs, including Penn State and Pepperdine.

The Quakers now turn their focus to Harvard, who was co-Ivy champion in 2004, and Dartmouth this weekend.

"Our outside hitters need to have more variety of shots and we need to pass better," Carr said. "The desire and work ethic is there -- we just need to work out some kinks."

The Quakers face the Crimson at 7 p.m. Friday at the Palestra.

PENN 16 30 30 31 -- 3Princeton 30 25 25 29 -- 1