A favorite Penn tradition could be in jeopardy if this year's Hey Day results in damage and violence once again, according to student class board members.

After a chaotic Hey Day 2004, the administration is trying to curb the practice of spectators -- and seniors in particular -- throwing food, shaving cream and other objects at the junior class's parade down Locust Walk in the afternoon.

Two students were hospitalized for injuries caused during the event last year, and thousands of dollars in damage was reported.

Although the tradition of the junior cane march as a part of Hey Day was established in 1965, the practice of spectators throwing food only began a few years ago. In a practice known as "Hey Deja Vu," seniors even donned T-shirts proclaiming the new "tradition."

"Among other things, bags of urine, eggs and various dangerous objects were thrown at us [in 2004], and we're writing to urge those few of you who would consider such actions this year to reconsider," Senior Class President Matt Klapper wrote in an e-mail that went out to the senior class Wednesday night.

Junior Class President Pierre Gooding said both the senior and junior classes have been working closely with the administration to control the practice.

"They're trying to maintain some kind of order," he said.

He added that the administration intends to discipline those caught throwing things but that officials have not specified the consequences.

In addition, Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs officials said in an e-mail yesterday that they will consider any throwing of objects to be a form of hazing. The Office of Student Conduct will conduct investigations if such incidences occur, in a manner similar to what happens when Greek Organizations haze new members.

"We're encouraging people to be responsible and to not ruin the Hey Day experience for anyone," Associate Director of Student Life Rodney Robinson said.

Leah Smith, a spokeswoman for the vice provost for University life, emphasized that Hey Day does not have to include hazing.

"The tradition itself does not include throwing things at anyone," she said. "We're really talking about how to work through the problems of the past and try to moderate the behaviors that are frankly unsafe."

Gooding remains optimistic that the senior class will comply with the University's celebration recommendations.

"I think people have gotten the message," Gooding said. "I think that Hey Day will go over pretty smoothly."

However, Klapper said he is not sure seniors will take the administration's request seriously.

"I do not know how receptive seniors will be," Klapper said, adding that he personally feels "at odds with the University's policy" since he believes that seniors should have the right to throw materials that will not endanger the juniors.

"I do understand how they've reached that conclusion," he said of the University's take on the situation. "It's an understandable position. It's just not the ideal position."

It seems as though some students plan on ignoring the University's position altogether.

Engineering senior James Aslaksen, who said he felt as though he'd been "tarred and feathered" after last year's onslaught, thinks that this year could get ugly.

"I think most of the Class of '05 was a little bitter by how we were treated. ... I'd have to offer [the other classes] a warning. ... I know several people who are really looking forward to settling the score," he said.

Although he said he would not personally be a member of the "firing squad" due to other commitments, Aslaksen noted that there is a carton of eggs that expired in February waiting in his fridge that his friends have been saving.

This year's seniors and juniors were not the only ones affected by last year's Hey Day debacle.

The Penn Band, which traditionally leads the procession and suffered over $500 worth of damage to its instruments due to last year's Hey Day, will not march the full route this year.

"It was a horror show," Penn Band Director Greer Cheeseman said of last year. "We got pummeled."

The class boards of 2005 and 2004 had to pay for the damage.

"I want to continue doing it because it's a big tradition. There shouldn't be the mess as it was last year," Cheeseman said. "I want it to be fun -- fun without condiments."

In an attempt to keep Hey Day relatively condiment-free, the University has also increased security and invited the faculty and staff to come and watch the proceedings.

"I'm hoping that last year was an anomaly," Klapper said. "All in all, it's about combining fun, safety and practicality," he added. "We want everyone to walk away from this day unharmed."