A Penn student was hospitalized yesterday with what is believed to be bacterial meningitis, University officials said tonight. The student, who is currently in stable condition, reported symptoms on Saturday. Students who were likely in close contact with the individual have already been notified and treated. Officials said others are not at significant risk of contracting the disease. They have not, however, released any additional information about the hospitalized student. Meningitis tends to affect college-aged students and was last reported on campus in 1996. It is an infection of the lining of the brain and spinal cord and is fatal in about 15 percent of treated cases, according to the Centers for Disease Control. Symptoms of meningitis include fever, severe headache, sensitivity to bright light, stiff neck, nausea, vomiting, rash and lethargy. The bacteria cause an infection in the lining around the brain that can, when inflamed, reduce oxygen flow in the brain. Before arriving at Penn, all students are required to either receive a meningitis vaccination or sign a waiver stating they are aware of the risks of the infection. Even the treatment does not protect against all strains of the bacterium. Officials said antibiotic treatment is only recommended for students who have had close or intimate contact with the sick individual, as random or casual contact will not cause the disease to spread.