Representatives from Penn's 12 Bicultural InterGreek Council chapters came together on Monday night to elect their executive board for the upcoming year.

College sophomore Malaika Staten was the uncontested candidate for president and was elected unanimously. She will lead Penn's minority fraternities and sororities during the coming year.

"One of the big things I want to do is put a bigger influence on academic excellence ... in the Greek system in general," the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc., sister said.

Staten served as the BIG-C's recording secretary this past year.

"I think that [this year's board] was overall successful in everything that they tried to do," she said. "Things can only get better from here."

Staten is succeeding College senior Enny Peguero, who worked to improve collaboration between campus groups.

"I felt that I was really able to connect with the BIG-C," Peguero said, citing her efforts to collaborate with the Panhellenic and InterFraternity councils.

Wharton and College junior Jason Yeh was elected vice president.

"I think that the most important thing is that we develop closer relationships ... with the fraternities and sororities in the BIG-C," said Yeh, a member of Lambda Phi Epsilon.

Staten agreed.

"I don't think there's necessarily a lack of unity," she said. "But it is important to re-instill that unity at the beginning of each year to work effectively."

Yeh suggested a leadership retreat for the executive board and mixers for the chapters within the BIG-C.

"They definitely are people with experience working on different clubs on campus," said Peguero, a member of Lambda Theta Alpha Latin Sorority, Inc.

"There's good diversity on the board," Staten said, noting the representation of both males and females, including diversity among the chapters.

"Most of the people in the BIG-C are new acquaintances," Yeh said. "I'm looking forward to getting to know them and working hard with them."

Peguero is optimistic about the new board.

"The members are from all facets, which is what the BIG-C needs to grow," she said. "It's been a good year for us."