The Undergraduate Assembly made several changes to the distribution of its $1.44 million budget in yesterday's early morning hours in favor of the group that governs most clubs and groups on campus.

The Student Activities Council received a 2.77 percent increase in funds, increasing its budget to $690,373 -- more than was received by any other branch of student government.

At the end of the nearly 6-hour meeting, SAC -- which receives all funds not allocated to other student government branches -- contested several of the budget decisions that had been made earlier in the evening.

The UA ultimately decided to decrease the $3,000 initially planned for the Senior Class Board's Performing Arts Night to $1,000.

The UA allocated $19,867 to its own operations and administrative budget -- a decrease of about $5,000 from last year.

Funds that the UA previously used for phone expenses were eliminated, and operation costs were cut in half.

"I think we gave some money back that we haven't used," UA Chairman Jason Levine said. "SAC is able to better use that money in their budget."

A decrease in the Nominations and Elections Committee's budget -- used to help run all student government elections -- will also aid SAC.

The NEC's budget was decreased due to a cut in funds for food and beverages at events such as "Get Out the Vote" and the University Council committees' orientation.

"We're not trying to collect money to fill our coffers," said NEC Chairman Eli Schlam, who argued against his branch's budget cut but accepted the decision.

"If we can do our job for less, then more money goes to student groups," Schlam said.

The budgets for the Student Committee on Undergraduate Education and the Social Planning and Events Committee were increased.

These increases will help fund additional production and facility costs for concerts and expand preceptorial programs.

The UA's budget meeting lasted until roughly 2:30 a.m. yesterday morning.

"It's really difficult to come to an optimal allocation for each branch of student government," UA Budget Committee member Wesley Nakamura said.