When people think of March Madness, their thoughts normally pertain to upsets, buzzer-beaters and heart-warming stories. But for Boston College guard Jermaine Watson, that madness was prefaced by a series of peculiar incidents in his Boston apartment early Saturday morning.

The night's events ended with Watson in a hospital after he sustained severe cuts to his left hand and left ear. According to the incident report filed by the responding police officers, Watson also complained of a hip injury.

Watson is the first man off the bench for the Eagles, and if he is unable to play at 100 percent -- if he can play at all -- it could seriously hurt BC, which will face Penn in the first round of the NCAA Tournament tomorrow in Cleveland. Watson averaged 9.8 points and 3.3 rebounds in just over 22 minutes per game this season.

The trouble started when police, who were on random patrol, observed a disturbance in front of Watson's apartment building. Upon investigation of the premises, the officer discovered a women who alleged that she was pushed to the ground.

After speaking to the tenants of the apartment, including Watson, the officer informed both parties of their right to file a complaint in district court. As of last night neither party had filed such a grievance.

However, the night was still young.

Just over an hour later, at 4:50 a.m., police returned to the apartment building in response to a report of a man on the first floor with a gun and knives.

First floor tenants advised the officer that they heard a scuffle on the second floor and, upon investigation, police found Watson's apartment empty and in disarray. The TV was destroyed, glass doors and windows were smashed and both the bathroom and bedroom doors appeared to be kicked in.

Watson and a friend were found hiding in bushes outside. The pair alleged that four or five masked men with guns, knives and bats followed them into the apartment, at which time the alleged victims fled the building. Watson claims he jumped out the window in order to escape.

Earlier in the week, BC coach Al Skinner told the Associated Press that he did not expect Watson to be penalized by the team or school simply "because he's the victim."

However, according to police reports, Watson and his companion gave conflicting descriptions of the suspects and "were evasive and uncooperative when questioned further."

Yesterday morning the BC athletic department declined to comment on any part of the incident.

However, Watson flew into Cleveland last night on a separate flight from the rest of the Eagles who had taken an earlier flight. When Watson arrived at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport his left hand was still in a bandage.

Even if Watson is not handed some sort of suspension, it is still very unclear whether he will be healthy enough to play, and if he does play if he will be at or close to 100 percent.

Although Watson's status is up in the air, Penn is planning on him being in uniform and on the floor.

"As far as we're concerned, he's playing, and we'll make our plan around that," Penn coach Fran Dunphy said.