The Graduate and Professional Student Assembly elected a new executive board last Wednesday set to take over May 1.

Incoming GAPSA Chairwoman and Communication doctoral student Lela Jacobsohn said that one of the main goals of the new board is to increase communication and interaction with students across Penn's 12 graduate and professional schools.

"There are people who aren't motivated to find out about GAPSA," Jacobsohn said. "We need to do a better job of partnering with clubs and administration around the University community, making sure we're linking in as many people as we can."

Jacobsohn added that there are various degrees to which students can get involved, ranging from policy committees to event attendance.

The body -- which meets weekly -- is also considering creating an open forum during meetings at least once per month at which students could voice ideas and concerns.

"Right now general assembly meetings are open, but it's little-known that they're open," Jacobsohn said.

GAPSA also plans to make internal status reports public and create a feedback page on its Web site.

The group intends to continue its work creating family-friendly policies for students who have families or are considering starting families, such as improved child care, health insurance, flexibility in hours and family leave.

It is also looking to create fellowships to support the interdisciplinary work of graduate students.

GAPSA has already begun discussion with Interim Provost Peter Conn about recruiting faculty in interdisciplinary areas and making stipends for such fellowships available.

According to incoming Vice Chairman of Public Relations George Leslie, GAPSA -- which has organized a belly-dancing mixer and a boat cruise on the Delaware River -- would like to continue to hold interesting social events that will attract more members of the graduate and professional student body.

There are also plans to create a better balance between on- and off-campus functions and rotate "Happy Hours" -- monthly events in which student gather for food, drink, student performances and information.

The incoming executive board is less balanced than the current board, current Vice Chairwoman for Social Activities and third-year Dental student Shabnam Sedaghat said.

The board no longer has an even split between graduate and professional students or males and females.

Nonetheless, Jacobsohn said she has "a lot of confidence in the people who have been elected."