From polka dot turbans to Saved by the Bell references, candidates are fine-tuning their tactics for the upcoming student government elections.

Today marks the beginning of campaigning for Undergraduate Assembly and class officer elections, which will be held online between March 21 to April 3.

Fifty-six candidates will be vying for 51 UA and class board positions. Of the hopefuls, 41 are incumbents.

"The competition's stiff," said College junior Zack Rosenblum, who is running for his third term as a UA representative.

However, 21 students are running unopposed, and one class board position lacks a candidate.

There are only two candidates for the four available Engineering seats on the UA and one candidate for each of two junior and senior College class board positions.

"Quality is definitely more important than quantity, and I think we have a lot of quality," Nominations and Elections Committee Chairman Eli Schlam said, "but I wish more people would want to get involved because student government provides an opportunity to make changes on campus."

According to NEC Vice Chairman of Elections Eli Hoffman, turnout is typically lower for the spring elections than for those in the fall.

"I hope it means that people are satisfied with the work that the UA has done for the past year," College junior Rachel Fersh said.

Fersh -- a member of the UA's Executive Committee who is running for her fourth term -- said she was disappointed because "I personally like competition."

Incumbent UA member and College freshman Sunny Patel said he thinks the race will be a lot easier than last semester.

"The odds are better, and I've had a year's experience," Patel said.

Candidates plan to spread the word with extensive flyer distribution, catchy slogans, college house visits and student group endorsements.

"Look forward to a lot of surprises and laughs," Wharton freshman and incumbent Class President Puneet Singh said of his campaign.

Slogans range from Wharton junior Dennis Yu's "You want Yu" to Fersh's "Your Fersh time? Make it special" to Rosenblum's "Join the Zack attack."

However, many candidates are emphasizing the importance of an issue-based election rather than a popularity contest.

Improvement of the College House System, increased student involvement in University policy and more study space are a few of the changes that UA candidates hope to implement if elected.

"I want to be elected based on my record and my plans for the future instead of just a catchy slogan," Wharton sophomore Brett Thalmann said.

Thalmann -- who is running for the UA but does not have a slogan -- plans to distribute flyers outlining work he has done in the UA's Facilities Committee this year and to talk to students in Huntsman Hall.

"I think there are a lot of serious issues that need to be talked about on this campus," Schlam said. "I hope students will take the time to make informed decisions about which candidates truly represent their views."