To the delight of many students, the popular Center City ice cream shop Scoop de Ville is preparing to move into Houston Hall.

The Rittenhouse favorite is slated to slip into the heart of campus on April 1 -- pending final details on a lease -- according to a source who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Scoop de Ville has "been wanting to come to Penn for quite a few years," the source said.

However, despite repeated attempts to contact the University to see if retail space was available on campus, the source did not receive a reply.

Then, fate stepped in when Scoop de Ville catered for an event related to the Academy Awards in Houston Hall, located near 34th and Spruce streets.

Owners discovered the Houston Market location while at the event and soon expressed interest in moving to the space.

Still, there was no word from the University until the ice cream parlor received a call from Tom Hauber, director of the Perelman Quadrangle, campus union and performing arts facilities.

According to the source, Hauber "was meeting with a focus group of students, and they were talking about businesses they'd like to see on campus."

"And they said they wanted Scoop de Ville on campus."

Construction at the proposed Houston Market location is expected to begin next week.

Although business hours are not yet finalized, finishing touches are already being made to the menu -- which will be geared specifically toward students.

"We're looking forward to it," the source said. "The students [we've spoken to] are deliriously happy."

The proximity of the proposed site is a thrilling prospect for many students.

"I think it'd be great to have Scoop de Ville on campus," College junior Sarah Peterson said. "Even though we already have Ben and Jerry's ... I'm excited. Houston's a really accessible venue."

Chelsea Albright, a College sophomore, was similarly enthusiastic.

"I just love Scoop because it's just blended into one texture. ... My treat for going downtown is going down to Scoop," Albright said.

However, she expressed reservations about the Houston Market location.

"I'm sure I'd go, but it would kind of take away from it for me, because I would probably go constantly for a month or so and then get sick of it."

University spokesman Tony Sorrentino could not be reached for comment.