[Marc Friedman/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Senior guard Karen Habrukowich started the season off strong, scoring 22 points against Northeastern, shooting 6-for-9 from three-point range.

Tom Lochner just wants to put this past summer behind him.

As the new head coach of La Salle University's women's basketball team, he has spent much of his time this fall dealing with questions about the sexual assault scandal which rocked the Explorers program this summer. It resulted in the dismissal of three men's players from the team and the resignations of men's coach Billy Hahn and longtime women's coach John Miller.

But Lochner doesn't want to talk about the past, preferring to focus on what is ahead for his team instead of what is behind it. Right now, what is ahead is a date with Penn (1-0) this evening at the Palestra.

The Quakers are plenty familiar to Lochner, who spent the last 17 years as an assistant with the Explorers (1-1) and now is at the helm on Olney Avenue.

"I've just continued to follow along with a lot of the same basketball philosophical aspects that we've done in the past," he said. "It's not drastic change, so it's not a huge learning curve for our returning players."

Penn coach Patrick Knapp has seen La Salle plenty of times in his long career as a head coach, and said that he knows what to expect from his fellow Philadelphia natives on the sidelines.

"Quick posts, so we will be tested on the boards again, and a couple of really dead-eye three-point shooters," Knapp said. "And all of these kids the players know, because they played them last year."

Knapp also expressed his sympathy for what Lochner has been through this year.

"I think it was very unfortunate the set of circumstances that took place, and I'm happy he got the opportunity," Knapp said. "But I'm very, very unhappy about John, because I like John Miller a lot. Tommy will do well -- hopefully not Tuesday night, but he'll do well."

One player who will likely do well tonight is sophomore guard Crista Ricketts, last season's Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Year. She led the Explorers with 14.1 points and 6.5 rebounds per game last year, and scored 394 total points, a new record for La Salle freshmen.

For his part, Lochner expects plenty of offense from the Quakers as well, especially with guards Cat Makarewich and Karen Habrukowich fresh off a combined 13-of-19 three-point shooting performance against Northeastern on Sunday.

"We are very familiar with their personnel," Lochner said. "I'm not surprised that Cat Makarewich shot the ball so well, and Karen Habrukowich too, because they are great players."

This is the first Big 5 game of the season for both teams, and that is of no small significance for the two head coaches.

"The rivalry exists in a healthy fashion," Lochner said. "Our players are very aware of the significance of opening up with a Big 5 game at Penn."

For Knapp, this game is even more special, as it is his first Big 5 game since returning to Philadelphia from Georgetown.

"To me, forever, Big 5 games just bring their own world of intensity," he said. "Trust me, we'll be ready."

NOTES: Although today's game is officially part of a doubleheader with the men's team, admission to the women's game will be free of charge. However, some chairback sections will be reserved for men's basketball season ticket holders who wish to sit in their normal seats.