A 2 1/2-year gap in the administration was filled Friday when University President Amy Gutmann named a new chief fundraising officer. With this appointment in place, officials can now start planning the next gift-giving campaign to increase available funds for financial aid and University improvements.

John Zeller -- the current associate vice president for development and alumni relations at Johns Hopkins University -- will assume the post of vice president for development and alumni relations at Penn on Jan. 17. He will replace Interim Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations Medha Narvekar.

The position, which involves soliciting donors vital to the University's progress and financial aid-giving abilities, has been devoid of a permanent administrator since former Vice President for Development and Alumni Relations Virginia Clark left Penn in 2002.

Armed with ample experience, leadership skills and a love of Penn, Zeller is ready to begin planning a gift-giving campaign for the University, according to Gutmann.

"His name was on the top of everybody's list," Gutmann said, referring to the individuals she consulted about the search.

Gutmann also said that Zeller distinguished himself from the other candidates through his "incredibly rich knowledge of Penn and appreciation of who we are."

Though Gutmann said she expects a smooth transition, her most recent appointments have required little transition, as she has mainly drawn individuals directly from the Penn community to fill open positions. Except for Gutmann's chief of staff -- Joann Mitchell, whom Gutmann brought with her from Princeton University -- Zeller is the first outside administrator to be tapped by the University president.

"I'm not looking to balance inside and outside. I'm looking to find the best person for each and every position," Gutmann said, addressing the mix of Penn veterans and those who were recruited from other institutions to join the top levels of her administration.

As the newest member of Gutmann's lineup, Zeller said that he is anticipating "a vertical learning curve initially."

"The short-term goal is to get relocated [at Penn] and kind of engulf myself with the institution," he said.

Zeller said that passion for his profession motivates him to bring success to the University as he has to Johns Hopkins.

"I really enjoy making a difference in an organization's future."

Zeller's enthusiasm for his job seems to be matched by his enthusiasm for Penn.

"I've got a great deal of excitement about joining the Penn family," he said.

According to Nursing School Dean Afaf Meleis, the feeling is mutual.

"We welcome him with open arms," she said of Zeller's upcoming arrival.

As one of the administrators who initially interviewed Zeller, Meleis said she was impressed with the candidate, who she described as both knowledgeable and personable.

"He's very familiar with the challenges that face a big university," she said. "He definitely moved the agenda at Hopkins in fundraising to just amazing heights."

Gutmann also stressed Zeller's "enormously successful track record," as well as his sense of creativity and his collaborative nature. She said the new vice president for development and alumni relations will be one of her main partners in moving forward her agenda.

"I'm not going to lose any momentum in moving forward with the Penn compact," she said, referring to her three-pronged strategy for the University's future, first unveiled at her inauguration.

Gutmann also noted that Narvekar, who initially took over for Clark in 2002, will remain as a member of the University administration. Narvekar declined to apply for the permanent position due to personal reasons.