University officials are considering closing the CVS on 39th and Walnut streets in order to make room for a new branch in the current Moravian Cafes property on 34th and Walnut streets.

Four of the nine vendors that comprise the food court -- which has occupied the locale since 1986 -- are vacating the premises due to financial problems. The space will be split up among the remaining four food stands and a convenience store -- likely a CVS.

University President Amy Gutmann suggested that the new pharmacy may replace the old one, but this has not yet been finalized.

"It's moving closer to campus from 40th" Street, Gutmann said of the current branch, noting that Penn is "in negotiations with CVS."

Facilities and Real Estate Services spokesman Tony Sorrentino stressed that keeping both CVS stores open on campus is also an option.

Sorrentino said that the University is in the process of conducting research to determine if Penn's campus could sustain both branches.

"We're discussing right now if there's market enough for two CVS's," he said.

Recent months have apparently shown that there is not a sufficient market for all nine of the Moravian Cafes food venues, according to Gutmann.

"If [four of the food stands are] not making it, it means students aren't using it, so we thought, 'What can we bring that a lot of students will use?'" she said, adding that she and other Penn officials solicited opinions from students before deciding on a convenience-type store.

Both Sorrentino and Gutmann emphasized the benefits of the 34th Street project, which is scheduled to be completed in September 2005.

"We're constantly evaluating the retail strategy on campus to see what works and what we can put in place to best serve faculty, students and staff," Sorrentino said.

Reactions among CVS patrons yesterday were mixed. Many described the new location as more convenient, but others complained about the potential change.

"I think [they] should keep it right here," local resident and frequent CVS shopper Karmita Negron said.

Jeremy LaBuff, a second-year graduate student in the School of Arts and Sciences, said he was apathetic about the possibility of a five-block shift.

"It wouldn't bother me personally, but I live equidistantly from both," he said.

Staff reporter Rachel Schwartz contributed to this report.