[Luis Chia/The Daily Pennsylvanian

Located near Thomas Jefferson University Hospital and the bustling shopping streets of downtown Philadelphia, La Boheme offers a romantic spot with fine French fare for a substantial price.

This small and sparsely decorated BYOB restaurant at 246 S. 11th St. keeps the lights low and plays classic jazz in the evenings to create an intimate atmosphere. As the night wears on, however, the quiet space gives way to noisy banter as late diners crowd the bistro. On warmer evenings, diners can opt to eat outside and enjoy the weather.

Both the restaurant staff and the dinner menu are authentically French, and the latter should satisfy any palate, offering fare ranging from seafood to steak.

For starters, my companion chose the soup of the day, tomato and melon gazpacho ($5), which she described as very fresh, with the melon detectable but not overpowering. I selected a more commonplace bistro salad ($8), with peas, radish, yellow peppers and croutons with a balsamic vinaigrette. I found it reasonably flavorful, but basic.

For an entree, my guest chose another special, the filet mignon ($26). The presentation was neat and colorful, while the meat itself was well-sized and tender, with the spinach and sweet potato au gratin complementing it well. To cap the dish off, the wine sauce brought the meal together perfectly.

I selected the duck ($23), which was served with asparagus and pomegranates. As with the filet, the dish was pleasing to the eye and the meat tender but also slightly sweet. My only complaint was that the sauce was somewhat bland.

To round off our excellent meal, my companion and I had cappuccinos to accompany our desserts. I chose chocolate mousse ($7), which was served in a tall glass. I found it thick and sweet, but too heavy to finish after the previous two courses.

My guest had similar troubles consuming her apple tart with a scoop of vanilla ice cream ($7). She found the crust flaky and the taste tangy, but combined with the high-sugar ice cream, it was a bit too rich.

Throughout our meal, waiters were polite, helpful and attentive without being intrusive. The lack of a wine list feels incongruent with the setting and the menu, but it does allow diners the freedom to choose their own beverage.

Overall, La Boheme provides an excellent date place that will fulfill a diner's desires.