[Julia Zhou/DP File Photo] Tim Begley, shown at Madison Square Garden last season, could return to the arena this year if Penn reaches the semifinals of the Preseason NIT.

For the first time in five years, the Penn men's basketball team will start its season by playing in the Preseason National Invitational Tournament.

The Quakers will christen the 2004-05 season by welcoming Quinnipiac to the Palestra on Nov. 16, one of eight first-round games in the tournament.

"I hope the students really come out and support us," Penn coach Fran Dunphy said.

If Penn defeats the Bobcats, it will face either Niagara or Providence in the second round. A matchup with the latter would be the first meeting between the two teams since the 2002-03 season, when the Friars rallied from six points down in overtime to win in Providence.

If Penn makes the second round, its opponent will most likely determine where the game is played. The Quakers would probably travel to Providence and host Niagara.

Four first-round games will be played on Nov. 15 George Washington at highly rated Wake Forest, American at Virginia Commonwealth, SUNY-Binghamton at Michigan and the College of Charleston at Colorado.

In addition to Penn's game, Niagara vs. Providence, San Diego vs. Arizona and Wright State vs. Tulsa will be played on the 16th.

ESPN2 will broadcast the George Washington-Wake Forest, Niagara-Providence and San Diego-Arizona games.

The semifinal and final games of the tournament will be played Nov. 24 and 26, respectively, at New York's Madison Square Garden. The Quakers' win over Manhattan at the Dreyfus Holiday Classic last December was the team's last appearance at the Garden.