[Allyson Mariani/The Daily Pennsylvanian] The kiosk at 39th and Walnut streets formerly housed two PNC Bank automatic teller machines. Penn Facilities said the building will be demolished in the coming weeks and turned into green space for the neighborho

The 3900 block of Walnut Street is about to get a little greener.

The PNC Bank ATM Kiosk -- which closed in February when PNC chose not to renew its lease -- is slated for destruction in the coming weeks, according to Penn's Facilities and Real Estate Services, ending a nearly seven-month period where the mostly glass building stood vacant at the corner of 39th and Walnut streets.

The empty "kiosk will be torn down," Penn Facilities spokesman Tony Sorrentino said. In its place, the University has said it plans to create a "little urban park." The newly planted landscaping job will help to beautify the area, which currently is mostly composed of concrete and brick.

The greenery will include flowers and should brighten up the section of the block near several residential and commercial buildings, including CVS Pharmacy and Campus Copy Center.

The University never planned to install another set of ATMs at the location, instead looking to beautify the site to improve the aesthetic qualities of the block.

The machines that previously occupied the kiosk were moved into the CVS nearby, but the building does not offer 24-hour access, limiting use to store hours only.

When CVS is closed, the nearest PNC Bank ATM for students is located in Harnwell College House. Before the high rise dormitories underwent renovations, there was an ATM in each building. However, there is no longer an ATM in Harrison or Hamilton college houses.

As for the parking lot behind the kiosk, the plan currently is to retain the parking spaces for the time being. Sorrentino said that ideally, the greenery will blend in with the parking spaces to create a more open and lively space.

There are several other non-PNC Bank ATMs in the area, including one next to the Ben and Jerry's ice cream shop on 40th Street and in the Freshgrocer at the corner of 40th and Walnut streets.

The closest full-service PNC Bank to the area at 39th and Walnut streets is located at 36th and Market streets.