[Jean-Jacques Tiziou/The Daily Pennsylvanian] Men's hoops coach Fran Dunphy will stay at Penn.

15-year Penn men's basketball head coach Fran Dunphy isn't going anywhere.

And Penn's athletic department will fortunately lose only one of its head basketball coaches this week.

"The Dunph" was one of six candidates mentioned in Ohio State University's search for a new head coach, which began June 8 after they fired Jim O'Brien.

That search concluded yesterday, when several sources announced that Ohio State had offered the job to Xavier coach Thad Matta.

Dunphy interviewed last Monday in Philadelphia with a panel of three representatives from Ohio State, which included Buckeyes Athletic Director - and former Penn AD - Andy Geiger. He did not receive a second interview.

"When people call and ask for permission to speak with you, your first reaction is to take a step back and decide if you want to listen," Dunphy said.

"With Ohio State, there is nothing that it doesn't have," he added. "It has the resources and the opportunity to get to the highest level."

Dunphy decided to listen, and while he was not selected for the position, he nonetheless appreciates having been considered.

"Over the years, I've had a few phone calls," he said. "It's an honor and a privilege to listen because it shows that these programs think you're doing a good job."

Indeed, in the past year alone, Dunphy has been considered for three high-profile coaching positions: La Salle, Georgetown and now Ohio State.

Yesterday, Matta interviewed for the job at OSU President Karen Holbrook's home, and became the leading candidate for the position.

Matta's interest in the job came as a shock to the Xavier administration, according to ESPN.com, because only two weeks ago, Matta announced that he was not a candidate for the Buckeyes coaching position and that he would remain at Xavier, where his contract extends through 2013.

Should Matta accept the Ohio State job, assistant Sean Miller will take over Xavier.

Dunphy spoke highly of Matta.

"I know him and respect him," he said. "I'm sure he will do a great job."

Vanderbilt coach Kevin Stalling and Rice coach Willis Wilson each had an initial interview with Geiger and a second interview with Holbrook on Tuesday.

In addition to Dunphy, Los Angeles Lakers assistant coach Jim Cleamons - a former Ohio State player - also interviewed for the job but did not receive a second interview.

Saint Joseph's coach Phil Martelli spoke highly of his friend and fellow "Philly Six" coach, prior to the announcement of Matta's appointment.

"If it's the best for Fran Dunphy and his family, I would wholeheartedly support him," he said. "He is a true gentleman and a great representative of what college basketball coaching should be about."

According to a report on ESPN.com last Friday, Geiger also inquired as to the availability and interest of Martelli in their coaching position, but was immediately rebuffed.

Ohio State was looking for a candidate with a history of recruiting strong student-athletes, which makes logical the interest in Dunphy, Martelli, Stallings, Matta and Wilson.

ESPN.com also announced that OSU contacted Notre Dame coach Mike Brey, but the former University of Delaware coach declined.

Penn's fifteen year coaching veteran is excited for the upcoming season.

"I really respect my current situation," he said. "It's a privilege to coach the guys that we have."

The feeling is mutual.