Columbia University women's basketball head coach Jay Butler abruptly resigned this past Thursday, after a nine-year career with the White and Blue.

Butler's reign saw marked improvement by the Lions but never a winning record in any of those seasons.

The resignation officially took effect yesterday.

"I took this job when no one wanted to take it, and took the program to new heights," Butler said in an interview with the Columbia Spectator's website.

Since his arrival in New York in 1996, Butler has brought Columbia from one of the Ivy League's worst teams to a firm spot in the middle of the pack.

In four of the last five seasons, the Lions finished 6-8 in the Ivy League, including the 2003-04 campaign- close to, but never quite fulfilling, Butler's annual predictions of a .500 conference finish.

His final record with the Lions stands at 67-143 overall, and 33-79 in the Ancient Eight.

Butler informed his team of the move in an e-mail the day of his resignation, and according to the Spectator did not give many details as to how he made his decision.

It is known, however, that he will be moving to Centenary College in Shreveport, La., to take the lead assistant coaching position there.

Centenary is a Division I school with scholarships, and Butler referred to the change as a "a lateral move."

Butler was renowned for his work ethic and high expectations, which he was able to transfer to players such as just-graduated guard Sue Altman, a first team All-Ivy selection this past season.

But that attitude may also have been his undoing, with benchings and public admonitions of players among his tactics for improving the team.

Lions first assistant coach Denise DiBacco has been named the interim head coach, with a committee soon to be assembled to find a permanent replacement for Butler.

Columbia will look for a new head coach that can continue the program's development into a conference contender.