As University President Judith Rodin's term draws closer to its end, many members of the Penn community are sharing in the chance to commemorate her decade as president and wish her farewell -- and the alumni are no exception.

The University Office of Alumni Relations is in charge of three parties for alumni and parents -- called "President Rodin Celebration Events" -- to offer groups of alumni opportunities to come together and celebrate Rodin's accomplishments over the past 10 years. Though the galas are hosted by Penn alumni, the University's programs and special events division is responsible for coordinating the events, including taking reservations and putting together the actual events.

The final event will be held tonight in Washington, D.C. In prior weeks, similar celebrations were held on campus and in New York City.

"The majority of the alumni are in the Northeast," said Fanny Chu-Fong, who directs the Global Alumni Network for the Office of Alumni Relations. "It's impossible to just kind of replicate this everywhere" due to Rodin's schedule, she added.

However, non-University events paying tribute to Rodin will probably take place in other locations. In October, an alumni gathering was held in California and evolved into a celebration of Rodin's legacy.

Each celebratory event drew widespread response, attracting more RSVPs than allowed for by venue size.

"We basically took reservations on our online system, and because of capacity in the rooms, we stopped taking reservations online," Chu-Fong said.

The events are free and draw alumni from across the metro regions in which they take place. Each of the venues allows for between 1,100 and 1,200 guests.

"Regrettably, we were way oversubscribed in RSVPs, so they had to actually turn some people away, which makes me very sad," Rodin said. "But this is great -- the New York one was so much fun. It was at the Gotham Ballroom, and it was packed and exciting."

However, all who showed up at the door were allowed to enter.

At each event, there is "a lot of uplighting in red and blue, ice sculptures with the Penn seal that are actually colored," said Mona Freedman, financial coordinator for programs and special events. "So it's a very festive and attractive location -- it just transforms the whole place."

In addition to the dramatic lighting and design, each event features a wall of pictures and a video display commemorating the various events and transformations that have marked Rodin's tenure.

"It's really quite extraordinary," Freedman said of both the display and Rodin's accomplishments.

Each event is focused mostly on mingling and networking. Rodin delivers a short speech at each event, followed by some alumni remarks.

Every celebration is "really about featuring the legacy of Dr. Rodin and the tremendous amount she's done," Chu-Fong said.

"We've constructed a way for everyone to see [Rodin's] accomplishments over the 10 years, her work with students and the community, and all of what she's done for Penn," Freedman said.