University police arrest one of several suspects involved in a mugging that occurred on 40th and Spruce streets. last night.[Julia Zhou/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

University Police arrested at least two males -- and possibly as many as six -- around 10:30 last night, apparently in connection with an attempted mugging near 40th and Spruce streets.

Police officials would not confirm anything at the scene; however, at 10:45 p.m., two males were handcuffed and placed into police cruisers on the corner of 40th and Walnut streets. Witnesses at the scene said other suspects were already inside a nearby police van.

Two other males, likely students and identified by onlookers as the victims of the mugging, were taken to the University Police station as witnesses.

According to Shaun Miller, a Philadelphia private police officer who said he witnessed the entire scene, two "college youths" were walking on 40th Street near the School of Dental Medicine building where they were "jumped by five to six juvenile males."

Miller said he then chased the males north on 40th Street, until the University Police -- who had witnessed the incident on area surveillance cameras -- stopped and arrested the suspects at the corner of 40th and Walnut streets.

Williams said that all of the males involved in the crime were arrested by the police.

Sgt. Gary Williams of the Penn Police said that he could not comment on anything at the scene of the crime. Officials at the UPPD said that the case was still "under investigation" and that no official information about the victims or the suspects would be released until today.

At least six police officers, three police cars and a police van were present at the scene making the arrest, blocking vehicle and pedestrian traffic for almost an hour.