College sophomore Lisa Chau and College junior Gina Gubitosa enjoy free candy and create Valentine's Day cards at SPEC's LoveFest in Houston Hall on Friday. Cookies and other treats were available for student consumption.[Rachel Meyer/The Daily Pennsyl

While some students may have spent the after-dark hours of Valentine's Day engaging in risque activities, others found equal pleasure in the food festivities of the daytime.

"It's like my mom always said, 'Decorating cookies is as much fun as sex, but much safer,'" said College junior Matthew Klapper, icing- and red sprinkle-covered cookie in hand.

The hundreds of students who walked through Houston Hall last Friday saw firsthand that love is indeed all you need to have a great time. And maybe grabbing a heart-shaped cookie decorated with gummy bears for the road doesn't hurt either.

The fourth annual LoveFest -- a Valentine's Day-themed event co-sponsored by the Social Planning and Events Committee and the Undergraduate Assembly's Tangible Change Committee -- enlivened students, leaving them with smiles, warm hearts, full stomachs and perhaps a chance to meet their special Valentine.

According to SPEC Special Events co-directors College senior Nina Kleaveland and College sophomore Lina Shustarovich, 1,300 cookies and 400 cupcakes were brought in for the event.

Aside from the cookie and cupcake decorating, students and faculty were able to enjoy free massages and sample hot chocolate, fruit punch and chocolate-covered strawberries.

In addition, they had a chance to take a picture with cardboard cutout figures, including The Rock. A cappella groups, such as Chord on Blues, also performed.

FLASH, a student group dedicated to teaching and promoting sexual health, took the opportunity to spread their message with pamphlets and penis- and breast-shaped cookies.

"We want to promote sexual health all year round, but at times like this when you know it's more prevalent," promoting the message is more important, said FLASH representative and College sophomore Laura Goldberg. She also suggested enjoying the breast cookies by savoring "the nipples first."

The atmosphere of free love and free food proved to be a hit for all, including "people who have Valentines, and those who don't," Kleaveland said.

Displaying her penis cookie, Goldberg noted that though Valentine's Day can be depressing without someone to love, "LoveFest is incredibly fun because there are so many acts and free stuff."

As his group Wharton Latino Undergraduate Association sold roses to support scholarships for Latino students, College sophomore Victor Byrd noted that the spirit of the event reminded him that "it's just about seeing my girlfriend."

Above all, students seemed appreciative of what Valentine's Day represented and the fact that LoveFest commemorated, well, love.

"I like Valentine's Day because I get to spend time with my partner and we get to be sensual. ... I dig the love," College sophomore Ron Wallach said.

For most, the excitement of LoveFest outweighed any remorse felt by those without a special Valentine. Klapper, himself single, exclaimed, "Valentine's Day rules!"

All his friends could do was shake their heads and smile.

Student group Circle K and the Senior Class Gift Drive committee also participated in the event.