While the mayoral candidates and their loyal volunteers anxiously waited for the election results to trickle in late into the night on Tuesday, most Penn students were simply not paying attention.

Although some undergraduates did follow the poll numbers -- as incumbent John Street easily overcame his opponent Sam Katz -- and watched the victory and concession speeches on television, most did not find out the election results until they went online or picked up the newspaper yesterday morning.

And even then, they were generally not surprised by the outcome -- a 16-point win for Street.

College freshman Kelly Landers, who said that she did not follow the campaign closely, found out about Street's victory yesterday morning.

"I don't know that much about Philadelphia politics," she said. "I heard that Street did a good job over the last term, and I guess that's why he was re-elected."

College sophomore Ann Koreisha said that she was not surprised by Street's victory, even though she also said she "didn't really know who would come out the winner."

"Neither party really had that much of a sway," Koreisha said. "Both had things for and against them."

Engineering senior Christopher Osborn found out about the election results on Tuesday night, but was as unenthusiastic about the outcome as Koreisha.

"I pretty much expected it to happen," he said. "I figured it would go the same way it went last time," referring to Street's 1999 victory over Katz.

Even though he assumed that Street's victory was a foregone conclusion, he said that "either one was a bad choice."

Still, other students expressed partisan opinions about the election.

"I guess I'm a Democrat, so I was hoping for Street to win," College sophomore Katelyn Rood said.

"I sort of thought he would, because he's the incumbent," she added.

Other students, such as College sophomore Jessica Marinoff, were disappointed by Katz's loss.

"The city has gone downhill since Rendell left, and I was looking for a positive change," she said, noting that she found out about Street's victory by watching the news Tuesday night.

Members of the Penn College Democrats and Republicans were both involved in their respective campaigns, and were invested in the outcome of the race.

College senior and College Democrats Vice President David Herman said he excitedly watched the election unfold on television.

"I was very happy," he said.

Herman said he thought that Street's victory was well deserved because "Street ran a stronger campaign, especially toward the end" -- an action which allowed him to ultimately prevail.

Members of the College Republicans, who congregated at the Katz Election Day headquarters to watch the results unfold Tuesday night, expressed their disappointment about the election's outcome and their determination to continue their efforts in Philadelphia politics.

Wharton junior David Copley, who is the state chairman for the Pennsylvania College Republicans, said that despite his disappointment, "you have to move on."

"This is just one battle," he said.