Penn students already complain about a lack of dining options on campus. And with the University now choosing to enforce a clause in its contract with food trucks forcing them to close at 6 p.m. sharp, those options are being further diminished.

The recent action by the University to limit late-night dining is a disturbing sign, and will likely spell disaster for many of Penn's culinary tenants. It is just another step in the ongoing effort by the Penn administration to take control of vendors on campus.

While food carts are indeed occupants of the University's property, and did agree to the 6 p.m. closing time as part of their lease agreement, the arrangement being currently enforced is unfair to both students and vendors. And both parties have already voiced justifiable concerns.

Students seeking a low-cost alternative to the dining halls have long relied on food trucks to satisfy their appetites. Despite Penn Dining's efforts to provide more late-night options, the long-awaited Triangle Diner is still not open, and the selection at 1920 Commons is still lackluster.

In addition, food trucks located around campus are a great way to encourage students to come out of their dorms later into the evening. Having more people on the streets not only improves the campus atmosphere, but also could help students feel more comfortable being out later at night.

But the students are not the only ones to get the short end of the stick in this deal. Vendors who have long been a staple on this campus are being forced to limit their opportunities to serve customers.

Many will face hard decisions in the coming weeks about the viability of their businesses. Without the prime time exposure to a passing dinner crowd, trucks will have little incentive to stay through the afternoon lulls after the daily lunch rush.

Does the University have a legitimate reason for placing additional red tape on already heavily regulated food vendors? If health concerns are their only justification, the time restrictions are completely unfounded, as an unsanitary food truck at noon will be no less clean at 9 p.m.

The University has the right to enforce the policies agreed to by vendors in their lease agreements, but who is to benefit? Food trucks are part of the campus identity and should be free to continue their business without the University breathing down their necks.