[Michael Lupoli/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Lightning struck Felicia's restaurant in July of 2002, and the ensuing fire all but destroyed this small, family-run restaurant in South Philly. Upon reopening in March of this year, Felicia's returned to its classical Italian roots. Many of the same popular dishes are featured that have been attracting lovers of Mediterranean cuisine since its original opening over a decade ago.

Currently operating with a small dining room and a bar, Felicia's presents a relaxed dining atmosphere. The restaurant was named after the daughter of owners Nick and Maria Miglino, who are often found in the kitchen cooking or at the bar where Felicia occasionally bartends. They are planning an expansion to add more dining space on the first floor as well as a new dining room on the second. There is even some talk of making the second floor a chic piano bar.

Felicia?s 1148 S. 11th Street (215) 755-9656 Fare: Italian $14-$20 Featuring light gnocchi, veal chop and fresh fish of the day in South Philly.

While the elegant decor and friendly service add to the experience, the food at Felicia's definitely keeps the customers coming back. I started with Mozzarella alla Caprese, a dish of fresh mozzarella, tomatoes and prosciutto. No Italian meal is complete without a glass of good red wine and I was not disappointed with the house choice of Cabernet Sauvignon. Felicia's takes this common Italian appetizer and maintains its simple delicacy with the finest, freshest meats, cheeses and vegetables.

My guest ordered funghi e prosciutto and then linguine con frutti di mare for an entree. The appetizer was exceptionally flavorful but not overpowering. Just the right amount of spices were added to enhance the flavors of the mushrooms and prosciutto.

My entree was chosen from the many popular veal dishes that Felicia's offers. The Vitello alla Saltimbocca consisted of a high-quality cut of veal wrapped around prosciutto and served with sauteed vegetables. The veal was a tad dry, but it was more than made up for in its rich flavor. The vegetables complemented it well.

My guest ordered linguine con frutti di mare with red sauce, a pasta dish with mussels, clams and calamari. Any fan of seafood would enjoy this dish, but Felicia's also offers plenty of fresh fish choices as well.

My guest and I shared an order of tiramisu for dessert. All of Felicia's desserts are homemade and rival the best Italian dessert chefs in the city.

Visit Felicia's for a relaxing yet refined dining experience. The classical and delicious Italian food will have you coming back time and time again.