Clifford High, a College student, was arrested in Huntsman Hall. [Ari Friedman/DP File Photo]

College junior Clifford High was arrested in Huntsman Hall on Wednesday afternoon at about 4 p.m., according to University Police. He faces several charges, including robbery and assault.

High, a resident of Harnwell College House, was taken into custody after allegedly stealing items from the purses of two students, Chief of Police Thomas Rambo said. High is accused of using force to obtain an item when one of the students tried to prevent him from taking it.

Police and Spectaguards near the area were able to apprehend High quickly following the incidents, and he was found in possession of the items reported stolen, according to Rambo.

"He's been charged with robbery, theft, receiving stolen property and simple assault," Rambo said.

High was arraigned on those charges yesterday afternoon. As of last night, he remained in police custody. His bail has been set at $5,000.

Although High is charged on a count of assault, no injuries were incurred, Rambo said.

Stanley Toombs, Allied Security's district manager for the University, was unable to comment on the arrest, or to provide any further details about the allegations.

High has in the past been a member of Penn's marching band, where he played flute. He was also on the work-study staff of the Lesbian Gay Bisexual Transgender Center during the last academic year, according to Bob Schoenberg, director of the LGBT Center.