It was fall 1999 when more than 2,500 freshmen gathered in the Civic Center for the official beginning of their college careers. At the time, Provost Robert Barchi said to the group, "You came as individuals and you will leave as a class."

Now, members of the Class of 2003 prepares to take the long walk to Franklin Field one last time. They will hear the same voices that they heard on Sept. 7, 1999, at their convocation, but the context has changed. The community that these students have created over the last four years is breaking apart.

The path each student chooses will be different. Some will head for Madison Avenue or Wall Street. Others will try their luck on Capitol Hill. Many will head back to the classroom, extending their higher education experiences indefinitely.

But no matter what path is chosen, each member of the Class of 2003 deserves to be congratulated. It has been four years of hills and valleys, of frustration and triumph, of learning and experimenting. Now, you have reached the end of the tunnel that seemed so far off in fall 1999.

Some came to Penn from as far away as Cape Town, South Africa. Others merely took the subway from home to the Quad. But all brought with them skills and achievements that earned them a place in the Ivy League.

Very quickly, those high school varsity athletes, student government leaders and newspaper editors found their niches and created a new community for themselves. After beginning their college careers by sharing memories with strangers, they have now created a set of memories from the experiences they have shared at Penn.

There was disappointment when the deal for the Sundance movie theater fell through, frustration at the long wait for a new partner and excitement when it finally opened its doors last fall.

There was the infamous College Hall sit-in by Penn Students Against Sweatshops, who took a previously invisible issue and gave it national attention.

There were attempts at taking down the Franklin Field goal posts, both of which ended in failure. But they were accompanied by Ivy League football championships which more than eased the pain.

There were retail openings and closings, debates on alcohol policies and affirmative action, protests and rallies. Some of you took part; others watched carefully as your peers made their voices heard.

Now is the time to soak up the last moments of your time at Penn. Enjoy your last trips to Smoke's, your last visits with professors, your last afternoons on College Green.

Savor these moments, because although many of you will return to campus, you will return as individuals. The community you have created and become a part of will gather one last time on Monday morning. Enjoy the commencement ceremonies, because after four years of hard work, you deserve all of the applause.

Congratulations, and good luck.