At this evening's Undergraduate Assembly transition meeting, three UA veterans -- College juniors Jason Levy and Kirsten Grubbs and Engineering and Wharton junior Matt Lattman -- will compete to become the body's chairman for the 2003-2004 school year.

All three candidates are clearly experienced, having served as UA committee chairmen, and they are well-versed in the strengths and flaws of Penn's largest student government body.

However, we feel that Matt Lattman is best equipped to serve as UA chairman, and we encourage all UA members to vote for him tonight.

Lattman has shown that he is an extremely dedicated member of the body and that he will take the reins with clear goals and intentions. His planned emphasis on member research and academic issues should help give the body more direction than it has shown in recent years.

While Lattman may not be the candidate who can best inspire his fellow representatives, he has exhibited the professionalism that is needed to be taken seriously by Penn's top administrators. If the UA is to make any substantial change on campus, it must come with the cooperation of President Rodin and Provost Barchi, and we feel that Lattman is the candidate who will challenge University officials to change their policies.

The other two candidates certainly have their individual strengths. Levy has the most practical experience of the three, having worked diligently on the University Council steering committee this past year. He has also made a strong name for himself on campus and relates well to the student body at large.

But while Levy has the ability to motivate the body, we have concerns about his agenda. If the UA is to be successful, the body must tackle issues that will keep the group relevant to the Penn community first and foremost. Levy's emphasis on national issues will likely prove to be a drawback for the body.

Grubbs would likely be the strongest external face and voice for the body. She has shown her dedication to student government and has emphasized smaller, more tangible goals.

However, Grubbs has also placed too much of an emphasis on internal and social issues, perhaps at the expense of external problems. We fear that the UA will once again fall into the trap of putting off campus issues in favor of dealing with internal politics.

Lattman's professionalism and his organizational skills should help him be a successful UA chairman. UA members would be wise to select Lattman to lead the organization through the upcoming school year.