Owner Richard Boegly serves coffee at the Paris Cafe, which recently opened for business on 41st Street between Walnut and Sansom streets. The cafe offers a variety of sandwiches in addition to coffee options. [Lina Cherfas/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

Nestled just west of campus, on 41st Street between Walnut and Sansom streets, is the newest addition to a growing number of coffee shops in the area -- the Paris Cafe.

The small, independently-run restaurant -- which opened in March to provide "a space where people can relax," according to manager Yann Copin -- is intended to offer a contrast to the chain coffee shops that dot campus and bring some South Street flair to University City.

Decorated with daisy-yellow walls and windowsills stuffed with board games, cards, comics, coloring books and crayons, its menu features typical coffee fare as well as fruit salad, chocolate-covered pretzels, soups and sandwiches on baguettes and panini, several of which are vegan and vegetarian. It replaced the Comet coffee shop.

The cafe is smoke-free, which achieves Copin's goal of "providing high quality food and beverages in a clean air environment."

Although "we haven't done any music or anything like that" yet, Copin said he hopes to expand his business through themed nights, including a tarot card reading night.

In addition, Paris Cafe owner Richard Boegly said he is in the process of applying for an outdoor terrace license that should be in effect this summer, "as long as the city comes through for us."

Plans for the cafe began after a friend told Boegly that University City needed a coffee shop that was not part of a major chain.

Copin, a native of France who used to work at Java, a cafe on 4th and South streets, teamed up with Boegly, and the two stumbled across the vacant space on 41st Street last August.

"There are so many coffee shops on South Street and in Center City, but at the time, there weren't as many in University City," Copin said.

That fact seems to have paid off financially.

Despite a slow opening due to the University's spring break, "everything has been great so far," Copin said. "We've been meeting people slowly, and soon it will be getting better."

"It's been a fun experience getting it started," Boegly added.

The cafe's clientele is composed mostly of Penn students who live nearby, as well as several Penn employees. Although few West Philadelphia residents have visited the cafe, Boegly said that the Paris Cafe draws many people who work in local businesses.

"The girls who live next door come by all the time," Boegly said.

Linda Harris, a West Philadelphia resident, frequented the cafe when it used to be the Comet, and recently visited the Paris Cafe for the second time.

"It's the only non-chain coffee shop around," she said.

Gary Jaeppel, another West Philadelphia resident agreed.

During his first visit to the Paris Cafe, he praised the coffee and said that he enjoyed his visit because "it's a small, independently run coffee shop. I try to avoid the Cosis and Starbucks of the world."