[Geoff Robinson/The Daily Pennsylvanian]

The 3400 block of Sansom Street has been christened "Sansom Row" but considering the menus of its restaurants, Burger Row might be a more appropriate title. The hamburgers of White Dog Cafe and LT's Bar have long been hailed as campus favorites; however, if you seek variety in your burgers, New Deck Tavern is the place to go. For all intents and purposes, New Deck is a glorified Chili's minus the annoying jukebox and gaggle of annoying Drexel kids in search of a crazy margarita. The menu reads the same in its attempt to include every boring American classic -- from ribs to pasta to "sizzling" fajitas -- and its blandness is made especially obvious by the inclusion of nearly every kind of cheese possible. Luckily, the variety is successful in some areas, especially in terms of hamburgers, all a bargain at about $7 each.

New Deck Tavern 3408 Sansom Street (215) 386-4600 Fare: American and Continental
Though it's laughable to suggest any of New Deck's hamburgers could compete with the grand achievement of LT's classic burger, those of New Deck come with a variety of toppings to make them more exciting, without relying on Chili-like gimmicks such as the "Dragon Burger." Of the eight choices, the Pepperjack Burger, topped with pepperjack cheese, red onions and salsa, and the Turkey Pub Burger, with crisp, maple-cured bacon and jack cheese are the best choices. Large wedge fries come with all of the burgers and are perfectly fried and seasoned. Like the Guinness and old sign decorations, personality manages to find its way to a few more of the menu items. The chicken fajita quesadillas and jumbo wings in homemade sauce are deliciously simple appetizers, a perfect complement to a variety of on tap beer selections. New Deck also scores with its reworking of classic sandwiches into bar masterpieces. The grilled chicken sandwich, topped with jack cheese, onions and honey mustard rivals that of the White Dog and the ultimate tuna sandwich, a balsamic-seasoned tuna steak with tartar sauce on a baked roll lives up to its name. Both sandwiches are priced under $10 and are served with a dinner salad for a mere $2 more. Though none of the items of the menu are spectacular, New Deck is a solid place to satisfy your craving for basic American meat and functions just as well as a venue for cheap boozing any night of the week.