Double standard To the editor: I find it interesting that Dan Fishback, a proponent of equal rights, a supporter of liberty and an anti-Jerky Guy could write a column (" Reparations, military style," The Daily Pennsylvanian, 1/27/03) as hate filled, as he recently did. I am surprised his tirade was even published, as it exhibited obvious prejudice and stereotypical remarks. These were not just about the upper class but about our military troops, government officials and what he writes in regards to "oppressed American minorities." Yes, Fishback's comments do insult certain service men and women who were inaccurately and unfortunately described as "oppressed American minorities." Amongst other points that I could make, he underestimates people's intelligence when stating that they were brainwashed into taking those jobs, as opposed to freely choosing that path. I take offense to that and to his sadistic idea of how to hold conscription. I take offense to the way he pins our president, a moral man, as a male chauvinist. If a column were written using similar intolerable language by a heterosexual white male with respect to some means of treating gays differently, for instance, by having a draft only for them or sending them to the frontline, the campus would be in an uproar. Rightly so, for a comment like that would demand a response. Whether overly sarcastic or not, so too do Fishback's remarks. A double standard cannot and must not exist. If Fishback believes one does now, then he should write about how to solve it. This course of action would prove more effective, as opposed to his venting and formulating discriminatory policies, which I think would follow Jerky Guy-like habits. Kenny Yarmosh Telecommunications and Marketing Master's candidate Offering help To the editor: In Spencer Willig's article (" Unionization: The people behind the debate," DP, 1/28/03), Max Dionisio worries that one bargaining unit will have difficulty negotiating a contract that will meet the needs of single people, married people and parents with children. Let me assure him that it happens all the time, in collective bargaining situations around the country -- including right here at Penn. My union, AFSCME Local 590, which represents library support staff, has members of all ages, family arrangements and living situations, and for over 30 years, we've managed to bargain on behalf of all of them. Much of the fear and uncertainty surrounding the February election seems driven by a lack of familiarity with already existing unions and contracts. There are several hundred Penn employees who have that familiarity. Check us out. We can help. John Hogan Biddle Law Library staff member